The Art classroom offers a place where students can develop skills in an atmosphere that offers a unique combination of academic and creative studies. At Galloway, we believe every student has something special to bring to the class, and everyone can grow his/her imagination, with practice, patience, and perseverance. Students’ abilities are nurtured and encouraged through challenging, grade-level appropriate lessons enriched with art history. Students are introduced to the basic elements of art which are line, shape, form, color, texture, value, and space through drawing, painting, sculpture, and design projects. Each project allows students to express themselves and to develop higher levels of abstract problem solving and creative decision-making skills that they will use in all walks of life.
In the Galloway Art program students learn to:
- Explore the Elements (line, value, texture, color, form and space).
- Apply the Principles (unity, emphasis, balance, variety, movement, and proportion).
- Use inventive and imaginative expression through art materials and tools.
- Develop self-expression through design, drawing, painting, and sculpture.
- Develop an understanding and appreciation of self and others through art culture.
- Build an appreciation for art and artists.
- Evaluate their own work and artist’s work to form aesthetic judgments.
- Learn to work and grow together as a team.